Monday, September 14, 2015

Ball So Hard

Among the many things in this country beyond my comprehension...
Donald Trump, the Mid-West, cats on youtube, the stock market, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews... is Football. The moment I knew my learning curve was significant was when my Fantasy Football projections included Tom Brady and Tim Riggins. I'd always considered myself an athlete and a sports fan but my father's excessive fanaticism and ability to transform the television room into a war zone on Sunday and Monday evenings made football a bit off putting to say the least.  

Last weekend I attended my first College football game. Texas vs Notre Dame, apparently the two most popular programs in the league. The scene reminded me of the time I was coerced into Country Fest at Gillette Stadium where I barely made it past the tailgate. Tailgating should be considered a sport within itself - the preparation and sheer enthusiasm alone I find almost inspiring. And to think that a majority of these people don't even go to the actual game? That is dedication. 

Entering the stadium felt like a glorified weight room - potent testosterone and unnecessary grunting. The dramatic entrance of each team complete with smoke machines, cheerleaders, mascots, and a 50 person band had me outraged at every guy that ever complained about the length of my lacrosse games. Football takes 45 minutes just to get everyone on the field. Nonetheless, I did my best to follow but somewhere between the millionth down and the nonsensical explanation of scoring I found myself in the only place that seemed familiar - the concession stand purchasing a mystery meat sandwich and a bucket sized beverage.

So maybe I haven't given football a fair shot, I suppose it's still early in the season. But for what its worth.. first impression, this all seems a little overhyped for a sport that boasts world champions and world class athletes when all of its competitors are limited to one country. If you ask me Id say all of American football could benefit from a little less air in the balls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment